My First Upholstery Project!

My Mum had this old chair that I rather liked – just a reproduction piece that had seen better days.  She has revamped her house and didn’t want it anymore.  I had the perfect spot for it so I brought a staple gun to see what I could do with it!!!!

IMG_5913

It had a nice saggy seat and was covered in a very dusty velvet fabric!!  Not really knowing what I was doing I started to pull it all to pieces.  First the trim which pulled off fairly easily.

IMG_5915

Then hundreds and hundreds of staples.  Along all the fabric edges and then stacks more on the cardboard backing!

IMG_5916

By the time all the fabric had been removed my fingers were absolutely raw.  For me this was definitely the most time consuming part of the project.

IMG_5917

It was also fascinating to see how the chair had been constructed and how rough and raw it looked when you finally got right inside.

IMG_5920

I took pictures as I went so I would remember how it all came to pieces.  Then I embarked on putting it all back together again in reverse.  I used the fabric that I removed as my pattern pieces, painted the frame and then got busy with my staple gun.

IMG_5921

So pleased with the result!  I would definitely recommend having a go at this if you have an old tired piece of furniture that needs a makeover.  Amazingly there was absolutely no sewing involved at all!!!

IMG_5992

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “My First Upholstery Project!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s